How to make a complaint

To make a complaint (or to request a review of how your complaint was handled) please complete a  document document complaint form (238 KB)  and email it to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Alternatively you can post the completed form to:

Professional Standards Unit
PO Box 8000London SE11 5EN

Telephone: 020 7238 2626

You may ask to speak directly with a member of staff who will be able to talk you through the process.

Next steps

Once we have received your complaint we will inform you of how we intend to resolve the matter and how it was concluded. If you're dissatisfied we will inform you of your rights of appeal.

Who can make a complaint in England, Wales and Scotland

You can make a complaint if you are:

  • The person in relation to whom the alleged conduct occurred;
  • Any other person who claims to be adversely affected by the alleged conduct;
  • Any person who claims to have witnessed the alleged conduct.

Northern Ireland

To make a complaint about an NCA officer in Northern Ireland please submit it to the Police Ombudsman of Northern Ireland (PONI) directly. You can do this:

  • Online via the website
  • Telephone - please call 0845 601 2931
  • Fax - 028 9082 8659
  • Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - this email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • By post or in person at the following address:

Police Ombudsman of Northern Ireland
New Cathedral Buildings
St Anne’s Square
11 Church Street

PONI offices are open between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. Please call 0845 601 2931 to make an appointment.

If you have a solicitor they can contact the PONI regarding your complaint.

If you're in prison and have a complaint about the conduct of an NCA officer you can write directly to PONI. Prison staff will treat your letter as confidential.

Complain via a third party

You may also submit a complaint via the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) in England and Wales or the Police Information Review Commission (PIRC) in Scotland, who will route it directly to this agency without considering the content.

Should you feel unable to make the complaint yourself you may use the services of a third party such as the Citizen’s Advice Bureau, a friend, another family member or a solicitor. In this case you must provide them with your written authority to act on your behalf.

Report fraud by an NCA officer

If you suspect an NCA officer of committing fraud please report it by following the complaints process outlined above or by calling us on 0207 238 2626. You can also call our Professional Standards Unit on 0207 238 2678 to report anonymously.

Alternatively, please report to Action Fraud.

Oversight of complaints

The oversight bodies for complaints about the conduct of an NCA officer are the:

  1. Independent Police Complaints Commission (“IPCC”) for England & Wales;
  2. Police Information Review Commission (“PIRC”) for Scotland, and
  3. Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland (“PONI”)

Any complaint received by the NCA will be handled in accordance with the requirements of one or other of the oversight bodies.

England, Wales 

In England and Wales, a public complaint will be handled in accordance with the pdf NCA Complaints and Misconduct Regulations (966 KB) . The IPCC has also issued bespoke guidance on the application of these Regulations to the complaints process.


In Scotland, a public complaint will be handled by PIRC in accordance with Police, Public Order and Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 2006 as amended by the Police and Fire Reform (Scotland) Act 2012.