Extradition is the formal procedure for requesting the surrender of a person from one country to another for the purpose of prosecution, to be sentenced for an offence for which the person has already been convicted or to carry out a sentence which has already been imposed.
The National Extradition Unit comprises a team of officers with operational responsibility for the coordination and management of extradition related cases.
- Provides 24/7 tactical advice & support in all reactive extradition related encounters;
- Receives, triages and risk assesses all incoming requests from overseas territories where the requested person is believed to have a footprint in the UK;
- Undertakes enquiries to locate and arrest fugitives sought for extradition utilising all available tactical methods where requests are graded as medium risk, high risk or complex that are believed to be within E&W (low risk enquiries are tasked to local police forces);
- Monitors the outcomes of court hearings, manages bail compliance and coordinates enforcement activity in relation to breaches;
- Processes & coordinates all removals from E&W where a surrender has been ordered.
- Provides guidance and tactical advice to law enforcement on searching for fugitives overseas.
- Undertakes all collections where arrests of fugitives wanted by E&W are located abroad.
- Participates in cross agency working groups & write national policy & guidance.
- The unit has two hubs in London and Warrington.
**To be considered, you will need to successfully complete SC Enhanced clearance before commencing the role.**